sui (sui_001) wrote,
sui
sui_001

  • Mood:

beekeeping

today i put the topbar skep inplace, using my 16C beesuit i made.





I got all the bits together. this is me lighting the smoker (still modern). it was a warmish day, still as a still thing. about lunchtime.



i cracked the lid and smoked under it. then left it for a bit, then opened it up.



this is the new lid and topbar skep. it would have been nice to catch a swarm and place it fresh into the hive, but i think it will all work easier if i just do it this way. effectively i am adding another box to the top. the lid is sealed to the pot with wax.




here is me fitting the new lid with the topbar skep to the hive.



then putting all the bars in place. i suspect i may have this wrong, in that most pics i have seen have the bars inside the hive, but we'll see. they seal up well enough and should be able to be inspectable (a common law requirement). I put sheets of foundation wax in the bars to asssist the bees (encourage them in the right direction) 



then on goes the lid. this is the base of the pot. klever.



a nice gratuitous foto of me in the suit and the skep in place. it's kinda nice to have it so high as it's going to be very easy to inspect. ye si am wearing gloves under the suit that shouldn't have them, but YOU be allergic to bees and not take caution...



another sho of me. hurrah for breugal.



then i headed to the other hive (about 5m away) and took the excess comb off the top.



and cleaned the lid.



a final pic of the skep in place, amongst the flowers of my mothers garden. pretty. let's all hope it works.

Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

    Error

    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 3 comments